Creamy Lemon-Green Bean Penne
It's been awhile since I shared some food with you guys, so I figured we were due for a recipe post. Today we're going to talk about...
Girrrrl let me tell you. I love pasta about as much as I love a good steak. If I had to pick a last meal, it would probably be some sort of pasta or another. With a steak on the side.
That being said, we can't eat pasta all the time, so this is a good recipe for when you need some carbs in your life, but don't want to feel like a total shitbag and binge on chicken parmesan (which I was seriously considering last night, BTW).
I love this dish during the warmer months when I need something quick and easy that isn't going to heat up my kitchen a bunch. Because how easy does this prep look, amirite? It's basically just six ingredients, four of which you probably already have in your kitchen.
Technically green beans aren't in season right now, so if you're trying to cook seasonally, you could just as easily substitute asparagus or zucchini in this recipe. You could also add in some cooked chicken breast if you need to use leftovers, or if you just want something a little heartier.
When I'm feeling fancy, I like to either mix in or top the pasta with a little freshly grated Parmesan and crushed red pepper flakes, but it tastes great without them, too.
So, without further ado, let's move along to the recipe!
Creamy Lemon & Green Bean Penne
Time: 20 minutes
8 oz. Penne Pasta
10 oz. Green Beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 Small Yellow Onion, finely chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 c. Heavy Cream
2 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
Juice and Zest of 1 Lemon
Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste; plus additional zest for serving
Parmesan Cheese, for serving (optional)
Red Pepper Flakes, for serving (optional)
1. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil.
2. While waiting for the water to boil, melt 1 tbsp. butter in a medium saute pan over medium/medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add second tablespoon of butter, and lemon juice, and simmer until reduced by one-third, about three minutes.
4. Meanwhile, salt the boiling water and add in the penne. Cook according to package directions (about 10 minutes or so).
5. While the pasta is cooking, add the heavy cream to the pan with the lemon juice and onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil for 30 seconds, then reduce heat to low and simmer until well thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon zest. You can also add the Parmesan and pepper flakes in at this point, if you so desire.
6. About 5 minutes before the pasta is done boiling, add the green beans to the pot. Continue boiling for the remaining 5 minutes, then drain the pasta and green beans, and return them to the pot.
7. Pour the lemon-cream sauce into the pasta pot and stir to combine.
8. Serve immediately; top with additional lemon zest, Parmesan, and red pepper flakes as desired.
That's it! Super simple and delicious recipe for your summer meal plans. Let me know what you guys think!